Wednesday, April 17, 2013

The Publisher's Weekly review for my novel!

As a quarterfinalist in Amazon's Breakthrough Novel Award contest, my manuscript was read by a Publisher's Weekly reviewer.  The written review, which I can use to query agents and publishers, is the award for making it to the quarterfinals.  So, even though I didn't make the cut to the semifinals (they cut 95% of the quarterfinalists), I'm happy to have this review.

In this engaging yet overly lengthy science fiction adventure, a group of rebels work to bring down a society that prizes intellect above all other qualities. Sixteen-year-old Elizabeth is one of many students furiously obsessed with studying, praying that she’ll pass her tests and make the cut, knowing that failure means she’ll be eradicated -- her intellect drained away, turning her into a Reg, a common laborer. Succeed, and she’s one step closer to becoming part of Gent society, where she can dedicate herself to a great purpose of her choosing. But when she ends up slated for eradication, she’s instead smuggled out of the city by the Awakened, a secret organization comprised of Gents and Regs determined to overthrown [sic] the New Establishment’s intellocracy. With nowhere else to go, Elizabeth joins the Awakened, becoming a vital part of their plan. But with traitors in their midst and the New Establishment cracking down with increasing accuracy and frequency, the Awakened must move quickly. But can Elizabeth trust anyone as the revolution kicks into high gear with her in the middle? Though fast-paced and compelling, there’s enough going on in this epic tale to fuel several books; read all in one go, it tends to drag and meander from one major twist to the next. However, with its richly-developed society, high stakes, and memorable characters, there’s also a lot to enjoy. Fans of the Hunger Games may just find their next heroine in Elizabeth as she proves infinitely adaptable, resourceful, and admirable. Readers looking for a deeper meaning might appreciate the ongoing debate about nature vs. nurture, families vs. a controlled environment. Everyone will likely enjoy the mixture of world-building, action, and character development.

The reviewer is right about the length.  I didn't reach my goal to get the manuscript down to 100,000 words before submitting.  I started at 127,000 and got it down to 113,000 after trimming only the first half, so I can (and will) shorten it.  I'm thrilled to be compared to The Hunger Games.  That's a compliment that warms my little writer's heart.  I'm also very happy that the reviewer enjoyed the various themes I put into the story.  In all, I'm over the moon with this review.

So my next step is to continue cutting and start querying agents and publishers--and racking up the rejection notices while I'm at it.  For now, I'll not worry much about the reviewer's comments that the storyline is too epic and meandering.  If a publisher/agent has the same concerns, then I'll look at dividing it up or trimming plot.  The way I see it, reviewers need to look for both the good and the bad, and if that's all this reader had to criticize (aside from length), then I'll run with it.

2 comments:

njepperson said...

Ang: I am so proud of you. What a wonderful review. It's almost as good as the review that I wrote in my mind after I read your book.

Keep up your creative life--you are an inspiration to your students, your nieces and nephews, your brothers and sisters, and mom and me.

You are (and have always been) in the top 5 per cent in all that you do.

Love.......Dad

Ashley said...

Ang, this review is amazing! Dave and I and the boys (and I'm sure Riley,if she had any idea how cool this is) are beyond thrilled for you! We are so excited for you to start sending this out to publishers. Both Dave and I also thought the vibe of your great story telling it reminded us of the Hunger Games. You are so incredibly creative and clever and your writing pulls you in from the start. You have such a wonderful talent Ang. Anyways, we are pretty proud and excited for you.
Love you!